Monday 6 June 2011

Live in LaLa Land I do

Over the past two years I have taken a big interest in fashion, sewing and vintage inspired clothing. It’s not something that came out of the blue, I have always liked pretty dresses but I was just never very confident of my looks so felt they didn't suit me or I was over dressed.


 Working in a corporate environment I was able to eased out of my jeans and band t-shirt combo, into something slightly more dressed up and as I grew more comfortable I was able to experiment with different styles (of black of course). This flowed over to my everyday clothing and now I'm happy to put on almost anything and not feel over dressed. I think this is something everyone goes through, for some it happens when they are teenagers for others its later.  


It took me a while to learn this but my motto is you have to “own your look.” Sometimes you leave the house looking great but other times you realise too late your wearing a something not so great. When this happens you need to except it and walk around like you look great anyway. If you spend the day head down shoulders slumped because your don't like the way you look by the end of the day you're going to feel terrible and your confidence will be rock bottom. Whereas if you spent the day head high, shoulders back without a care in the world, you may be wearing a sack but you owned your choice and while in your eyes the sack wasn't the greatest choice, at the end of the day you will feel much better because in the end no one matters but you.
 
Today I'm wearing a black dress I found at savers on the weekend. I loved it when I tried it on, loved in when I put it on this morning but by the time I got to work today I was a lot less fond of it.  


  



  
Dress: Savers (table eight) // Cardigan: Barkins // Bag: eBay / Cape (in my hands) Dotti // Shoes: Mountfords  

It felt too small and too short, I fixed the too small part simply enough. Winter is so cold here that I had put a long sleeve black top on under it, after I took that top off it fit again. Its still too short when I'm sitting down, but I can live with that. 

The only real drawback is that my knees are cold!


I even went to the trouble of getting photos taken only to discover my camera phone turned all the details of the dress into a black blob!


For the DITP I picked the Cardigan: 

When: 2010 or 2009… I don't remember. 
What: It's my comfy extra cold day cardie. It's a bit big but had pretty buttons so that balances it out. 
Why: I needed a black cardigan that was a nicer than your stranded basic. 
         It was also back when I didn't wear skirt on my waist so I needed one with a bit more length 
Want: Yeah, it's good for the extra cold days  

1 comment: