Friday 15 July 2011

Budgets

 I should start but saying I'm not in debt, I don't have any huge amount of money owing that will force me to stop spending. This blog is solely about overcoming my mild shopping addiction that I have identified I have. While I may not have debt I'm in a situation where I can spend/waste a lot of money. I have my bills and some savings coming out of my account the day I get paid, but after that it’s pretty much total freedom with spending. I should be saving a lot more then I am, the amount I save is pretty good, but the way I handle my money means I’m often dipping into it.
I have time and time again sat down and written out a budget for where all my money should  go, planned it all out and then done nothing with it. I don't having anything against them they just don't work for me. I know some people get off on them, can't live without them and wouldn't dare spend money from the wrong area on something else. We each have our thing and mine is not budgeting.  
I having been feeling the pressure to stop buying things close in on me this past few weeks, it's totally created by myself, but I feel guilty when I buy but if i don't my it i feel frustrated. This is most likely because in June it's my birthday and I go a little crazy with the spending.  Once that is passed I feel the need to slow down a bit, but find it really hard to switch mind sets from “buy everything you want it's your birthday” to “OK, birthday over back to normal” - it's almost like a shopping hang over. It was my payday and I wanted to buy some things but was already beating myself up over it.   
Then it occurred me, rather than a budget I just need a limit for my spending, I know it’s not rocket science, and to most of you it would be quite obvious, but to me it was the answer I had been looking for.  So I set myself a fortnightly limit of $300 to spend on anything I want. This does not include food or entertainment, more things like hair, makeup and clothing and books. I know this might seem high to some and low to others but to me it’s new and helps me feel in control and relived. If I find I have heaps left over at the end I can put it aside and save up or something big. If I find I'm hitting the limit every fortnight then thats fine to, maybe I need to review why, but I will deal with that when it happens.

So far this fortnight I have spent $34 and its about to jump up another $135 later today.

And here something I own:




Lipstick
Why: I was told about a lipstick pencil by a friend in the lipstick Queen range, I brought it and loved it. When I went back I found that it was no longer available (This always happens.) The lady in the store suggested I try this one instead, and I love it. This is my second tube. Its tinted balm and its prefect. After my first one run out I tried a few cheaper brands, as $34 is a lot for a balm but they all had perfume in them and nothing was good enough.
What: I use it every day.
When:Yesterday.
Want: Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment